So this week CreatingMfon(read why I use ‘creatinggrace’ as a signature in all my images and posts) will be one month old. No, I am not celebrating. We will celebrate maybe 6months or one year.
Things have happened so fast and the days are moving fast as well. But I am eternally grateful to be here.
I am a goals girl, a planner addict and now on the move to become a DIY junkie. I set goals for a living. I get a lot done with goals than without them. And I do a lot better with goals when I break them down into daily tasks.
So in this post, I’ll be sharing with you my goals for these last months of 2017. They are basically centered around how I intend to grow this blog.
I’m writing these goals to:
- Hold myself accountable.
- To enable me build a reliable track record for what’s working and what’s not so I can make adjustments as needed.
- To be able to share my true experience blogging in the future and help new bloggers who are just starting out avoid the mistakes I made/make along the way.
So, without further ado, let’s get started:
One of the best things about blogging is that other bloggers are so cool! Everyone has an awesome story about how they got where they are and why they decided to blog, and I love listening to/reading them all. I enjoy making new blogger friends, but it’s kind of tricky (at least to me) meeting new people online.
Sometimes I write emails I intend sending to other bloggers to introduce myself, but I never send them because I never know how it’s going to be received. Although I am your classic introvert who is really bad at meeting new people or making new friends, I think I have a tendency to be super friendly (and a very loyal one at that) and I think when you’re like that, some people get the impression that you’re trying to use them to build your business, which is understandable, I suppose. But I’m not. I just want to be friends.
So, I want to make more connections with bloggers in my niche (I’m planning on moving from personal development to lifestyle– more on this later) and other niches that I’m passionate about (books, Christian/faith, productivity, food/baking, healthy/natural living, homesteading, fitness/yoga, etc.).
Goal # 1: Make 2 new blogger friends!
How I’m going to make a new friend:
- Email 2 bloggers (whose blogs I really enjoy reading) every Tuesday
- Comment on 5 other blogs every Tuesday
- Share, recommend, give a shout-out, link back to their blogs and other blogs I follow.
Goal #2: Connect with Nigerian bloggers!
Because I’m a Nigerian.
- Research and find blogs written by Nigerians.
- Reach out to the ones whose writing I love.
- Join groups.
Coming up with relevant content I think my audience would actually be interested in reading is more challenging than I had imagined.
My goal on this blog was to track and keep a record of my progress, lesson learned and moves I’m making to create the life I want, But over the past week, I find that goal changing on me. Sharing knowledge, talking to people about their personal development, teaching, encouraging others etc comes naturally to me. I also love to write (everything– fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc). I love to bake too and share recipes that work with others.
So I’ve had a difficult time coming up with content that’s consistent with my person AND what I want to teach people. Is it bad if I want this blog to reflect all of that?
As a result, I may end up rebranding in the future to a name that encompasses more areas of everything I am and love to teach others. And I’d probably change to a lifestyle blog to be all-encompassing. (What do you think?)
But all is well. I’ve recently turned to Quora, Pinterest and bloggers I’ll talk about later for post ideas, and I’m feeling pretty inspired.
Goal # 3: Get 1 month ahead on useful, relevant content.
- Write a minimum of 3 posts per week
- Create an editorial calendar and update through the end of December
- Write and Schedule all post weekly.
INCREASE TRAFFIC/PAGE VIEWS
For now, I use WordPress stat counter to track my traffic sources until a move to a self-hosted blog. And my top referral source so far has been Pinterest, WordPress reader, and Facebook. I’d like to eventually have mostly organic traffic, but I’m not there yet. This month I’m focusing on growing my overall page views through Pinterest and backlinks to my website (which should also improve my SEO).
Goal # 4: Grow total page views to 2,000 per month.
Action items for growing traffic:
- Collaborate with and Guest post on 1 blog (if you accept guest posts, please let me know)
- Create more attractive pins and have 3+ pins per post
- Apply to quality group boards per week (average repin ≥ 3)
- Load up Boardbooster and Tailwind once a week
- Figure out how to use Tailwind + Tribes
- Create a Pinterest group board
- Track monthly traffic and write a report.
INCREASE FOLLOWS AND EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS
At the time of this post, I have a whopping 40 awesome followers. It’s not much, but it’s a good place to start. And it’s really cool knowing that people actually read my blog posts.
Goal # 5: Grow followers by 50%
How I’m going to grow my followers:
- Write content they love.
- Blog roundups.
- Create main content upgrade for top 3 posts and homepage (I don’t know what they’ll be)
- Participate in link parties.
- Create thank you pages for all content upgrades.
- Follow and comment on other blogs.
Goals #6: Start building an email list.
How I will do this:
- Sign up for free MailChimp (until there is money for Convert kit)
- Create signup forms and place them on the blog.
- Sign up for Hello Bar and Sumo me.
- Create freebies to offer in exchange for email.
- Create thank-you pages for all content upgrades (option to share the upgrade)
- Create landing pages for best content upgrades
- Write email welcome series (7 total emails)
INCREASE SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWS
My social media following is not so hot right now. I mean, it’s not as bad as it could be, but it isn’t as good as it could be either. Here are my current stats:
Twitter: 383 followers (I really don’t know how this works. I’ll learn someday)
Facebook: 5243 likes/follows (thanks to my deleted blog of 4years)
Pinterest: 203 followers
I have no idea how I got 383 followers on Twitter. I guess you just follow people and most of them follow you back? I seriously haven’t been doing anything to promote this account, and all my posts there are automatic from WordPress.
The Facebook likes were gotten through ads, no interactions on the page (I long for this).
Lately I participated in an Instagram follow for follow thread in a Facebook group I joined. And my follows went from 150 to 497 isn’t that awesome? I’ll be doing more of that.
I’m now focusing on Pinterest since its the #1 traffic source to this blog.
Goal # 7: Figure out how to work Pinterest. Grow social media accounts to:
- Twitter: 800 followers
- Facebook: 7000 likes/follows
- Pinterest: 500 followers
- Instagram: 800 followers
Here are my social media action items:
- Find a way to increase engagement on my Facebook page.
- Create a linked group for my page (first, learn how it works)
- Sign up for Buffer free trial
- Post to Twitter + Facebook 3x daily
- Figure out how to use Boardbooster, Tailwind + Tribes
- Add a Pinterest popup widget to my site
- Create a Pinterest group board.
- Participate in threads on the Facebook group I belong to.
- Create threads for the linked group.
Goal # 8: Make $50 through Affiliates and sales of my blog products. (Small right? Lets experiment first)
How I intend to do this:
- A lot of research. Research other bloggers to build a decent idea of my monetization strategy.
- Sign up for affiliate courses and implement lessons learned.
- Sign up on Affiliate Marketing sites
- Create ebooks, courses and planners for sale (not all at once. But will start somewhere).
There it is friends.
We’ve got a lot of work to do, so we better get started.
I don’t know about you, but I feel a lot better, definitely more organized! Hopefully, I’ll look back on this blog post one day and laugh at what a silly newbie blogger I was. Until then, I’ll be unraveling the mysteries of social media one platform at a time.
What are your blogging goals? Would you mind sharing?
Got any suggestions, recommendations that’ll help accomplish these goals? I’ll really love to hear them. Please let me know in the comment or by email (uwakgraceATgmailDOTcom)